Monday, September 2, 2019

Home Alone

Remember that last post when I mentioned how I could use a little loneliness?

Dudes!! On Wednesday, August 28th at 4:00pm, my family is leaving our house and going away…AWAY!

I will go home at 5:00pm to an empty house.

Stop and take that in.

The house will be empty.

We have lived in our house for nine years and I have NEVER been alone in it for more than twenty minutes and that was back when I was off work for cancer treatments and Tom would go to the post office and race back, lest I be without his aid and care for longer than I could stand.

They should be back home by 5:30 so yes, a half hour alone in my house.

Whatever will I do?

The possibilities are endless.

I could go to the basement and get the clean towels that need to be folded.

I could clean out the toy room, taking all the crap that Tom never wants to leave the house and putting in my car, where it will hide until tomorrow afternoon when I will drop it off at a local donation box.

I could start dinner.

I could sit and just take in the still silence.

A coworker to whom I was extolling the joy I was feeling over going home to an empty house told me I should leave work early to make the alone time last even longer.

I’m considering it.

But, and this is key, I can’t get home before Tom and the girls leave at 4ish because if I get home before they leave, he’ll want ME to take Alyssa to her voice lesson or, he’ll leave Olivia home with me while he takes Lyss to Bryan to the lesson.

I don’t want either of those things to happen. I want the three of them to get into his big blue van and drive away from the house while I am driving toward the house and then I will get to be gloriously alone…ALONE for at least 30 minutes.

I just can’t even.

No comments: