Thursday, April 9, 2020

The Early Days

Author's Note: This was written in the early days of the pandemic, as a sort of journal. Sorry for the lateness in posting but...it's already gone on long enough that this is almost like a flashback. A look at the 'normal' days.

March 18, 2020 – Day 5

It doesn’t feel real. I know this isn’t the end of the world but things are changing so fast.

The girls school had spring break scheduled for this week so we’re going with that. We aren’t enforcing any schedules, except that I still go to be pretty early since I’m still going to work each day and since Olivia won’t go to bed after I do, she’s going to be fairly early too.

But they’re both sleeping in and just relaxing all day every day.

On Tuesday, March 17 (St. Patrick’s Day for anyone keeping track) when I got home the sun was shining. The temps were only in the mid-40s but I still suggested we all go outside. I felt like we needed the fresh air, the sunshine, even the brisk wind blowing in our faces.

Alyssa rollerbladed on the driveway. I walked laps around the driveway. Tom wandered through the yard and Olivia ran back and forth between the three of us. The cat watched all the antics with the bored stare of a superior being.

We were outside for almost an hour and it was fabulous. Sure, we were chilly when we went in for dinner but it was some much needed outside time.

It’s supposed to rain for the next several days and then…we’ll be in the new week with new expectations.

I have a suggested schedule for Olivia in hopes of keeping her brain from atrophying. She needs to do some work each day. She also needs to get outside and move. Since I have to work, I will have to rely on Tom and Alyssa to help Liv maintain her schedule.

I’ll be sure and report on how well that works out for us.

As of day 5 of the suggested self-quarantines, my dad is still out and about. Have I mentioned that he’s 80 years old? I don’t know. I mean, he’s lonely, I get it. He lives with my sister in her house with five other adults, three kids eleven and under and two stupid yappy dogs.

Four of the other five adults in that house smoke. My dad smells awful whenever he comes to see me. I feel terrible for him. I know he leaves that house because he has to get away. But he needs to move back to his own house where he doesn’t have to breathe second-hand smoke, listen to those horrible dogs and the bratty kids. If he were to move back to his own house, I’d be willing to go get groceries for him and check on him several times a week but I don’t know if he could bring himself to stay home.

I just don’t know.

Tom thinks the girls and I should stay away from my mom and step-dad. My mom disagrees.

Olivia’s anxiety about this virus is through the roof. She asks daily if animals can get it, if kids get sick. If people are dying. How honest should we be? I’ve gently reminded her that the flu is actually more dangerous to kids her age and pointed out that for the last two years, she’s had the flu on spring break. And it in the end, she was fine, so…

Alyssa still has to go to work even though eat-in dining has been restricted. The drive-thru is still open as if the lobby for food to go. So yes, she’s still being exposed to the general public and I’m not sure how I feel about that. But we’ll take each day as we can. It’s all we can do.

One day at a time, sweet Jesus.

Right?

No comments: