Sunday, January 23, 2011

Lazy Weekends

We're still setting into the house that we've been in for five months.

But sometimes it's hard to get motivated.

When there books to be read and movies to be watched and popcorn to be eaten and little girls to be snuggled, it's hard to motivate yourself to get up and fold the laundry and put the dishes away or even hand a mirror on the wall and put that second coat of paint on the living room walls.

Instead, we pull the blanket a little tighter and snuggle a little closer. We put in another movie and pull each other a little tighter against us.

And that's okay. In fact, it's wonderful.

And when they're energy level gets the best of them, I watch them flip around the room and help Olivia bounce a little higher and then, finally, I go get a basket of clean laundry to fold.

It will all get done but it doesn't have to be today. Heck, it doesn't even have happen before the start of the week. These little moments slip away so fast and we'll never get them back.

There will always be laundry to be folded and dishes to be put away. The floor will always need to be vacuumed and there will always be one more item that needs to be put away.

But these little girls won't be little for long. It will seem like tomorrow when they're both teenagers and too cool to sit for even a minute with their nerdy old mom.

So I'm soaking up my lazy weekends where these girls are still little and still think that I'm the best thing ever. I will read one more book (Chowder was popular this weekend) and I will watch one more cartoon. I will hold O's hands and help her do 'humongo' jumps. I will applaud A's handstands and I will add a few more bubbles to the warm bath O insists on taking at 2:00 on a Sunday afternoon.

And tomorrow, we'll start the week all over again, with lunches to be packed, homework to be done and gymnastics classes to be attended. And if the laundry has to be pulled, wrinkled, from the baskets for another week? So what? There are more important things in this little life than having everything put away at all times.

There will be time for that stuff later, when they're bigger and I'm older and we've all moved, sadly, from snuggly, lazy weekends. For now, I'm soaking up every single minute of time these little girls will give me. And I know how lucky I am to be able to do just that.

No comments: