Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Shades of Gray

I am not a winter person.

I do not enjoy the cold weather.

I don't like playing in the snow and slipping across the ice.

I prefer to have my feet and hands warm and I much prefer sandals to boots.

Winter in the midwest is a long, lifeless monotony in shades of gray.

The sky is gray, the ground, which is covered in dirty snow, is gray. The trees have a haze over them turning their brown bark a dark gray.

Even on days when the clouds clear the sky is a pale, desperate blue that is still more gray than blue. The sun, if it shines, is weak.

And my mood is often gray as well.

I was all prepared to come here and talk about how easily, smoothly Tom has slipped into our morning and evening routines. He's there in the mornings to give Olivia her corn flakes while I shower and get Alyssa up and around.

He's there in the evenings to help with homework and monitor computer time.

But last night...was gray. He was grouchy about waste (food waste that is) and I was grouchy about him being grouchy and everyone was tired and it was just an off night.

I'm so tired of gray.

I can't wait for the tulips I planted way back in September to poke through the ground and shower our yard in reds and yellows.

I need some color in my life and I know that we have at least two more months of gray winter.

Two. More. Months.

It feels so long but I know it will pass. Spring will come and the gray will be chased away by balmy breezes and sunny days.

But right now? It's just so very gray.

No comments: