Friday, June 22, 2012

Jobiness

Tom works from home. He does an excellent job of managing his time so he can help us get out of the house in the mornings and he’s ready for us to come home in the afternoons, his job that day done and put away, if you will.

Over the years that he’s worked from home, he’s had countless (at least ten?) people ask him if he’d do them a favor that involves the work he does from home.

He’s tried very hard to avoid this. After all, if he were to take the time to do the favor, he’s taking time away from his actual job, which in turn, takes away from the income he is earning to support his family.

My sister called last night and asked if Tom was still doing what he does.

I hesitantly said yes because I knew what was coming.

She and her husband need some fast cash, she said. She quickly told me that what she wanted to sell was legal but…she isn’t as competent as Tom must be to do this kind of thing.

I told her that Tom prefers not to take on projects for other people. I explained about how this is his JOB, not some fun hobby for him.

She hemmed and hawed and suggested I just ask him.

I agreed, already planning how I’d tell him about the conversation, planning to make sure he knew I didn’t expect him to actually do this.

Turns out that what she wants to sell isn’t even allowed to be listed on ebay, so that’s that.

But sometimes it’s hard for people to understand that what he does pays our bills. He’s not sitting around searching for things to do. He’s got his items, his priorities and in the end, taking care of our family is the top priority for him.

I’m ever so grateful for that.

No comments: