Monday, June 4, 2012

Quotables

Tom likes to make sure Olivia is paying attention so he often mispronounces words just to see if she’ll corrected. She almost always does. She can’t stand it when he called her Lucky Charms “Charmed Luckies.”

Whenever she declares that she likes something, like her water at dinner or the ceiling fan for making a lovely breeze, Tom will ask her if he can marry it.

She almost always replies with a shrieked, “No! It doesn’t have any arms.”

Apparently, arms are necessary for matrimony.

Tom has a radio that he play every day during his morning exercises (he starts working out at 4am. I sort of hate him but then I remember that I’m glad he’s a morning person because I can send the girls down to him on the weekends and get a whole two more hours of uninterrupted sleep.)

One morning, I turned the radio off because it was driving me crazy to hear two televisions and a radio making noise, noise, noise. Tom knew I’d turned it off and he didn’t care. But he asked Olivia if she did it. This question infuriated her.

She put her hands on her hips, turned to face him and informed him, “I am not old enough to turn off your radio!”

We’re getting a lot of attitude out of that one these days.

Of course, one of my favorite things to hear these days is from Alyssa. It always comes from the bathroom, where Olivia has followed Alyssa in to make sure the toilet lid gets closed when use of the toilet is finished.

I have heard Alyssa say in exasperation more than once, “Livie! I’m not even done peeing yet. You can’t put the lid down until I’m done peeing.”

So much fun to be had when you get to be the fly on the wall.

No comments: