Saturday, November 10, 2012

Get a Grip

On Thursday, as I was paying for the coming month's tuition for Alyssa's gymnastics class, I asked the lady behind the couner where the girls were buying their grips.

Alyssa was thrilled to hear that they sold grips right there in the gym.

Oh, the joy, the wonder.

Wait, Mom didn't have an extra $16.01 on her right at that minute?

The horror, the cruelty. It was so very unfair.

And then, there was one girl (according to Alyssa) in the class who was totally flaunting her grips, waving them around, bragging that she had them.

Im not sure, but I think Alyssa might have been exaggerating. Her own enormous envy may have put a bit of bragginess where it might not have existed.

When I got to my mom's on Friday to pick up the girls, Alyssa was at the car before I could get my seatbelt off. Papa had given her $20. One reason he gave it to her was because she came home with a certificate for excellent behavior and academic record in school.

Another reason was so we could buy the damned grips and she could shut up about them. I know. I love my step-dad too.

She cuddled up to him for the rest of the time we spent there before coming home.

But all is not exactly well in Alyssa's world. See...her mom is so mean! She (Alyssa) thinks I should go to the gym right after work on Monday and get her the grips. I think she can wait until we go on Thursday. She isn't even going to see another bar until then so why get them early?

She wants them early because she wants them. She wants to wear them around the house and just have them.

I keep telling her that waiting for something you really, really want builds character.

She insists she has enough character. Hmmmm....

No comments: