Thursday, November 1, 2012

Busyness

This past Monday afternoon I received an email from Tom suggesting that I not try to use that evening catch up with everything that had gone undone over the weekend. He said we should all just have a quiet evening at home. That things would get done eventually and there was no reason to knock ourselves out trying to get it all done in one night.

That evening I managed to get two loads of laundry watched and dried and that’s it. But it was enough. It felt like more than enough actually because I’d set the standards quite low.

And maybe that’s the answer.

By lowering my standards, I will probably come across much more success and happy surprises than I do when I expect too much and then don’t manage to get it all done.

This week has been full of busyness. Things that are still waiting to be put away, dishes (clean, at least) in the dishwasher, clothes in the dryer, gift bags on the floor by the backdoor.

But in the midst of the busyness, things got done here and there. The girls were bathed (always a plus in my book,) laundry was slowly folded and put away. The floors still need vacuumed but again, no pressure.

Last night’s trick or treating was awesome and necessary. We have to make time for frivolity and fun. If we don’t, what’s the point?

Tonight I have parent teacher conferences with A’s and O’s teachers. I then head to my mom’s to pick up those very same girls and head back to town for A’s gymnastics class. We’ll get home in time for the girls to eat a small dinner and for Alyssa to shower. Then it’s off to bed, another day done.

Busyness isn’t all bad. It makes otherwise boring times pass faster. But sometimes, I’d like to stop and take it all in. To look at my little girls who are both not quite so little anymore. To laugh with my husband, something we don’t do nearly often enough anymore. To sit back and realize yes, we have a good life. A very good life. And I’m so, so thankful for it.

No comments: