Monday, November 5, 2012

Old Friends

I love to read. I’ve loved to read since before I could read. Seriously, I loved books before I knew how to read them. I loved to look through them and pretend I was reading.

When I did finally figure out the whole code that is reading, I was amazed at the worlds that opened up to me.

There are so many books I’ve read more times than I can count. So many books feel like visiting old friends when I pick them up to read them again.

And when another book or movie or television show makes a reference to one of my favorite books, I’m thrilled beyond rational. (Example: NBC’s show Revolution mentioned Stu Redman and Fran one evening. I was so excited I couldn’t stand it. Tom looked at me like I was crazy but…Miles introduced himself as STU REDMAN! Do you know how cool that is?)

Okay, now that I’ve made it quite obvious what a dork I am…where was I?

Yes, books, old friends and all that jazz.

Alyssa can read at the seventh grade level. Her teacher confirmed that my decision to let Alyssa read The Hunger Games was a good one. Alyssa is mature enough to handle the topic as well as proficient enough to actually read the words and get the meanings.

But last weekend at the library, she checked out two Junie B. Jones books. And she read them both in the time it took us to drive from the library to our house. And she laughed and laughed the entire time, often stopping to read aloud particularly funny passages.

She can read at a seventh grade level but the antics of a first grader tickle her to no end. I love that. I love that she can revisit Junie B. and still get a kick out of that silly little girl. I want that kind of relationship with books for her.

Books can be a great escape, a moment away from the trials of real life or yes, even the boredom of real life.

Books open worlds and introduce friends that are always there, between the pages. I’m so glad she revisited Junie B. this weekend, a short trip to see an old friend, one who reminded that laughter really is the best medicine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's great! I also love to read and try to encourage my kids as much as I can. We all read at home too.