Friday, July 12, 2013

The Date

Back in January when I started my weight loss endeavors, I didn’t have a goal weight in mind. I did, however, have a goal date.

That date is tomorrow. My brother will be getting married tomorrow and I get to show of my new, smaller, less cumbersome body in a bridesmaid dress I bought back in March.

As of last Monday, seven months and six days after I started down this path, I hit the milestone of fifty pounds lost. I went from a tight size eighteen to a comfortable size twelve. For me, this has turned into a journey of comfort, of feeling better inside and out.

I haven’t longed for the day when I can eat cake and peppermint patties. I don’t miss Coke or Mountain Dew. My water and sugar-free gum do the trick in the afternoons.

I decided on Monday, after the scale was so kind as to show me the number I wanted to see that tomorrow isn’t the day for me to end this journey.

No, I’ve extended it. I’d like to see what I can do for the rest of the year. I’d like to see what happens when I step on the scale on January 2, 2014, a full year after I started.

It feels so good to be here, in this place of self-acceptance and comfort. It feels good to be able to ride a bike with my girls, not huffing and puffing.

One day at a time. One bite at a time. I hope this time is different. I hope that even if I do have cake at tomorrow’s wedding it won’t lead to a year-long binge where I have to start all over again. Though, the jury is still out on whether I will have cake or not, to be honest. I’m not sure I trust myself yet and that’s okay too.

And for those who want to know, there were no before pictures taken. It was just too dreadful. There may, though, be some after pictures taken and posted after the wedding tomorrow. We’ll see…

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I don't know where I read or heard it, but it was something about it takes 60 days to make or break a habit... once you've made 60 days it's a big turning point and you're in the maintenance phase of your new normal. You've made it and more!!!

I'm amazed by you. I haven't been able to stick to anything for a week, let alone 6 months!