Monday, March 7, 2016

Always Early

About that Family Fun Night…it was Saturday night.

Yeah, we (my mom, Olivia and I) drove the four miles to the school on Friday because, well, yes, I’m an idiot. But that’s been well established, right?

I mean, I’m the woman who arrived a week early to a party that was in Indianapolis. Let’s all remember that I live a good three hour drive from Indianapolis. So yeah, that happened.

Even though we tried to attend Family Fun Night twenty four hours early, we did make it back the next night and it was…underwhelming.

We attended one of these events when Alyssa was in either second or third grade and now I remember why we hadn’t attended any since.

While it was nice to get out of the house on a Saturday evening (Alyssa even went with us since she was home from Trudy’s house) and we picked up her friend Sally.

Olivia hated the games that were set up in the elementary hallway. There was the matching game where you pick a duck and try to match the number on the bottom to another duck’s bottom…huh.

There was face painting but the people who were doing that were, um, how do I describe this kindly? Oh, that’s right, I can’t. They were awful! They were basically painting kids’ faces one solid color and then swiping a couple of weird whiskers on their cheeks and calling them cats and/or dogs. So awful!

There was a bounce house with a slide but it was four tickets (50 cents each) for one climb and slide. Olivia refused to go in without me or Alyssa and we both declared we were much too (big) mature to do such a thing.

So we sat on the bleachers in the gym and watched people walk back and forth.

Olivia refused to go into the cafeteria to see what kind of food was being offered. She informed me, “I have to go in that awful place every day for lunch. It smells bad in there and they have terrible food.”

Okay then.

There will probably not be another Family Fun Night in our future…like, ever.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Aww, that's too bad! I'm sorry you had such a crappy time!