Wednesday, March 2, 2016

I Don't Mean to Be Rude But...

If you ever find yourself prefacing a statement with the above phrase, stop. Just stop because you know you’re about to be rude and saying that you don’t mean to be rude isn’t actually helping with your rudeness.

Just saying.

And people who say they’re ‘brutally honest’…whatever. Those people are just using their version of honestly to be brutal.

One of the people who visited our house last weekend chose to preface a statement about how mature my older daughter looks with the phrase, “I don’t mean to be rude but…”

And then she made a rude statement that included pretty young teenagers and pedophiles all in the same sentence.

Everyone in the room was disgusted by her comment and my aunt quickly pointed out that what this woman had said was basically a victim-blaming statement and it was uncalled for.

Ugh!! Just ugh!

And while I’m on the subject of preface comments let me state that if a person feels the need to say, “I don’t have a racist/sexist/homophobic bone in my body but…”

Well, just get ready because that person is about to make a racist/sexist/homophobic statement. That’s just how it works. So how about if we all agree that if we feel like we need to preface something we’re about to say with a phrase that denotes that WE are not rude or racist or sexist or homophobic, perhaps maybe we just shouldn’t say it what we were about to say.

Mmmm, kay?

1 comment:

Julie said...

And then I told you a horrible joke...bunkbeds in hell. I'm just saying.