Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Maudlin Music for the Masses

There is this amazing singer out there, one that everyone loves and idolizes. I agree with the masses that this singer has a lovely voice but her songs make me crazy with the maudlin, screamy, angsty quality they have.

And they seem to last forever, with her going on and on about the past and when we were young and how she’s moved on and trying to be happy for a long lost love as she gazes upon him from the other side (outside?)

I guess I can understand why others find this music so wonderful. I guess the soulfulness of her songs speaks to the pain others have felt when relationships fail or when they think of the one that got away. Or something like that.

I don’t know. I’m probably all alone over here in the corner where I hear the first cords of one of her songs and think, “Oh no! Not that song again, change the radio channel, change it now!!”

All this is not to say that I don’t enjoy some of Adele’s songs. I do. Her last album, the one before this most current one, had some great songs, very catchy and listenable. But this most current one is just not one I would choose to listen to even once.

Like I said above, I agree with the world that she’s an amazing singer. That woman can belt out a song. Her most recent music just isn’t for me.

But then, I’m sure she couldn’t possibly care less about what a forty-something mom in the American Midwest thinks of her music. Which…good for her. I do hope she continues to make the kind of music that makes her happy, that makes her most devoted fans happy.

Diversity is what it’s all about. I’ll just go put on some Coldplay and go about my day.

2 comments:

Swistle said...

I feel similarly. I greatly admire, understand, etc., but I can't hear some of those songs even one more time, and I'm getting to the point where I have arguments in my head with the lyrics ("You know, if you have called A THOUSAND TIMES, it is seriously and legally time to STOP CALLING").

Julie said...

I love Adele. :)