Thursday, June 9, 2016

A Remedy for Boredom

School has been out almost two weeks and already Alyssa is lamenting that she’s bored.

This week, she’s had to go to my mom’s each morning because Tom and his brother are rebuilding my aunt’s deck and so they’re gone from the minute Olivia gets on the bus for summer intervention and not home until after 8pm each night.

So there’s poor little Alyssa, so bored at her Gram’s house, with her computer and her tablet and her cable television.

The first day, my mom let Lyss lament to her heart’s content. But the second day, yesterday, the minute Alyssa announced that she was bored, my mom put her to work. Ha! Gram for the win.

Alyssa dusted my mom’s ceiling fans, cleaned her large front window and folded a load of towels.

This morning on our way to my mom’s house again, I asked, “Does the fact that you have to leave at 11:00 each day to pick up Livie give you something to look forward to, to break up the boredom?”

She rolled her eyes and said, “No. It just means more waiting when we get there because Livie’s bus is always late.”

“Well,” I suggested. “Why don’t you vacuum or put away the dishes or start a load of laundry?”

She gave me such a look if disgust.

I laughed at her. “Remember yesterday with Gram? If you complain about being bored, we’ll find things for you to do.”

She sighed.

I think I should have emailed the teachers at Liv’s school and asked if they needed a helper in the classroom for these two weeks. I really think Lyss would have been good with the kids and yep, it would have given her something to do for at least the morning. Alas, she’ll just have to suffer through vacuuming and laundry and dishes.

Poor kid.

No comments: