Sunday, March 11, 2018

Flu

We interrupt the regularly scheduled bitch-sessions from this author to bring you a report that the flu, more specifically, Influenza B, has infiltrated the Ordinary household.

Last Wednesday, Olivia woke up with a fever. Obviously, she stayed home from school. She took over the recliner (I'm trying not to be a baby about this) and has actually been there ever since.

She seemed better on Thursday. I kept her home that day anyway because I thought she needed another day to recover from her fever.

The fever was back Friday and so off to Urgent Care we went.

Aside: During all this, Tom wasn't feel so hot himself. His ear hurt and he had the sniffles. But these weren't your typical sniffles, these were Man Sniffles, so he needed to rest often.

I reminded both Liv and Tom on Friday morning that, hey, guess what? While my last chemo had been just three days before, guess what? They'd ACTUALLY given me chemo!!! By Friday I hadn't had even one nap. I know, everyone feels VERY sorry for me, right?

Right. Sure. Okay, then.

So on Friday morning Liv and I headed to Urgent Care. She was sniffle, achy and feverish. I'd given her some Ibuprofen to bring the fever down.

Once we got there, they were pretty quick to see her. The nurse practitioner decided that since I'd just had chemo, a flu test was important. They swabbed O's sinuses (ewww!) and ten minutes later...she was declared positive for influenza B. She was given a prescription for Tamaflu. The NP then asked if I could get a hold of any of my doctors to get a prescription of Tamiflu for myself for prophylactic purposes. She said, "I'm not so much worried about her, I'm more worried about you getting this."

She then offered to write the prescription herself. I took her up on that offer.

As we were leaving Urgent Care to head to Walmart to get my and O's medicines, I called Tom to let him know Liv's diagnosis. He was visiting with J, his older daughter. I kind of thought she needed to know she'd just been exposed to someone who'd been exposed to the flu. Convoluted? Yes, but still necessary.

When Tom got home, he decided he should be seen by a doctor too. He ended up coming home with a steroid (join the club, Dude!), an antibiotic can Tamiflu too. While he was at Urgent Care, he asked if he could get a prescription of Tamiflu for Alyssa, just to cover the whole family.

They said they really needed to see her before giving a prescription. She had a performance of her school's musical that night, so she and I raced to town the next day between a band performance and musical performance. She's now on a ten-day regimen of Tamilfu too.

Olivia is on the mend, my cough is getting better, Tom's ear is clearing up and Alyssa is over her snit over having to take medicine when she's not even sick. All's well that ends well, right?

Right.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Ick, that's a lot of Tamiflu. I'm praying that you don't actually get sick.