Thursday, October 18, 2018

Day of Rest

Once upon a time, Sundays were designated a day of rest.

The past few Sunday’s by 6pm I am so tired I just want to cry. I even sleep in (like REALLY sleep in) on Sundays and yet by the end of the day, I’m achy and tired.

I do laundry on Sunday, and that means I go up and down the basement stairs all day long. We usually have at least five loads of laundry to do, and that’s if I’m not washing sheets, which I usually am, so let’s make that seven loads.

Not only do I have to go down to the basement to do the laundry, I have to carry all the clean laundry to the second floor, so let’s just add in another fourteen steps I climb to the other fourteen. Up and down, all day long.

Added to all that is the fact that I cook on Sundays for the coming week. Tom really likes to feed leftovers to Liv most of the week so I cook something that will keep for days and days.

Every other weekend, I make a batch of cookies because heaven forbid we not have homemade cookies in our house.

Let me be honest, though. No one actually expects me to bake those cookies. I do it because I like to do it. I enjoy doing things that make my family happy. Cookies make them happy.

Clean sheets also make them happy, and I don’t mind doing any of these things.

But they do make me tired.

I’m so out of shape. I hurt a lot these days. If I sit for a few minutes, my joints get stiff and when I get up, I walk like I’m ninety years old.

I know I need to move more, that climbing twenty-eight stairs multiple times once a week isn’t cutting it. I need to exercise with intention. But it always feels like so much work and there are always other things that need to be done. So…one of these days.

One of these days I’ll figure out how to get more laundry done throughout the week so I don’t have quite as much on Sunday.

One of these days I’ll find a meal that my entire family likes/wants to eat and I won’t have to make several each Sunday to feed them all for the rest of the week.

One of these days I’ll go on a diet and lose these extra pounds that are taking a toll on my joints and making me ache all night long.

One of these days, I’ll feel healthy enough to actually take care of myself and get even healthier.

One of these days we’ll have an actual day of rest.

One of these days…

No comments: