Monday, October 1, 2018

Spirit Week Fall 2018

This week is spirit week for homecoming. The girls are going all out this year. Alyssa went so far as to enlist my mom’s help in making a tutu. Cool, right? I mean, I’m just so glad I didn’t get drafted into helping. Wheee!

Today was ‘Dress as your favorite Candy’ day for Alyssa and hat day for Olivia. They sometimes make different days for the Jr. High/High school versus the elementary school. I don’t know why, they just do.

Olivia was worried about this, though. See, last week, on Friday, they announced over intercom all the spirit days and Liv was fretful this morning that she’d be the only kid in a hat since they (whoever did the announcing) hadn’t said anything about hats.

I assured her that other parents check the school website as much as I do and it would all be fine. She wasn’t so sure and decided she’d pack her headband that held a tiny crown (so cute!) in her backpack and put it on once she was sure other kids were wearing hats. The leggings she was wearing could be said to look like they had gummy jewels on them, so she was set for wearing candy if she needed to be. Not that she’d explain herself to anyone, I mean, let’s not get crazy.

Alyssa wore a red t-shirt on which she’d painted a white S. She also wore a rainbow tutu she borrowed from her sister (no, NOT Jessica, duh) and polished her nails rainbow colors. She was, obviously, a skittle. She was going to suggest people “Taste the rainbow” as often as she could throughout the day.

Tomorrow is dress as a game piece. They’re both going as Scrabble tiles. Alyssa gave $5 to a classmate whose mom was going to make a bunch of t-shirts to spell out something about the sophomore class or you know, something. That woman, whoever she is, is way more ambitious than I could ever hope to be.

I bought a white t-shirt for Olivia, dyed it tan, and drew a black O and a tiny 1 on it. Obviously, she’s the letter O. What other letter would she choose? I suggested the Q since it has the highest value in Scrabble but she thinks I’m kind of stupid, so there’s that.

Wednesday is…oh, crap, what the hell is Wednesday? Oh, wait, it’s class color day. They’re calling it Battleship day. It’s a huge stretch but they’re kind of pitting each class against each other and the class that has the most kids wearing their assigned color wins. Whatever, it’s stupid but the kids love it so yeah.

O’s class color is orange. I did not buy a new orange shirt for her. Thankfully, the girls are the ages/sizes that they can wear each other’s clothes. Sure, Lyss is taller but they don’t borrow each other pants as often as shirts. Liv’s shirts tend to be a little short on Lyss, but that doesn’t bother her at all. A’s shirts are a little long on O but that doesn’t bother me at all. So it’s win/win/tie.

The sophomores were assigned the color pink this year. Lucky us, each year, there is a Homecoming T-shirt you can buy from the local sporting goods store. Each of the four high school classes are given a color and those shirts are printed and sold to gullible parents just like me.

Class color day is the day for which Alyssa made her tutu. She and my mom made a tutu out of blush and bashful, two shades of pink, one is much deeper than the other. She’s also got pink and white striped socks and something else, I’m sure. She’s going all out. I excited for both of them. This is a fun time for them.

Thursday is another day that’s different for the high school from the elementary. The elementary school’s theme for Thursday is Mix-up day. I have a couple of options for Olivia. I set out a pair of Christmas pants that she can pair with a Halloween shirt if she wants or she can wear a striped shirt (orange and white) with some chevron pants (black and white.) We’ll see.

Alyssa’s theme for Thursday is Nerd day. I’m leaving that one up to her. I’m not the best judge on what’s nerdy versus just comfy. What can I say? I’m a total nerd and I’m okay with that. I’d say don’t @ me but, well, I can’t quite pull that cool shit off.

Friday is, of course, Bomber Blue and Gray day. Because why not? Not that Olivia will go to the game that night, let’s not get carried away. But she will wear blue and gray to school and fit right in. She probably doesn’t even know (or care) that this whole spirit week thing culminates in the football game. As far as she’s concerned, football can go screw itself. I’m kind of with her on that one…

Then there’s the dance on Saturday. I have to go tonight (Monday) and order flowers for the dance. Yay! More money to spend. But it’s fine. It’ll be great and we’re over here making memories.

Reading over this, it’s reading a bit more snarky than I’d intended but you know what? Screw it. I’m tired. I have a headache and this spirt week stuff is wearing me right out.

Last week it was work. This week it’s spirit week. Next week it will be something else.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Loved the Steel Magnolia reference!!