Wednesday, November 21, 2018

The Ways I'm an Awesome Wife

So we all know I’m very far from perfect. I’m whiny, lazy, a mediocre cook, a lackluster housekeeper, blah blah blah.

But I try.

And there are some areas in which I’m an excellent wife to my long-suffering husband.

Example 1: I scheduled flu shots for the four of us. I do this every year. That in itself makes me an excellent wife and mother. I mean, hello, I care about my family’s health and take the time and energy to make appointments for preventative care. So yes, that’s one.

But further into that example is the fact that I know my husband hates paperwork. He can’t stand filling out forms.

So the other day at the doctor’s office, I arrived before tom and the girls. I filled out all the forms to update Alyssa and Olivia’s files. They still weren’t done when I finished the girls’ forms so the receptionist asked me if I wanted to start on Tom’s so that when he got there, all he’d have to do was sign.

Sure, why not? I figured it would just make his life easier. And it did. He was very grateful to just have to write his name three times. See, I’m a most excellent wife.

Example 2: When I am home, I am in charge of helping Olivia with all of her self-care. Even through chemo, at my absolute worst, unless I was asleep or otherwise incapacitated, I was the one who helped her. She’s pretty capable these days but she does need supervision when dealing with a few things. I’m that supervisor. I feel like as she gets older, it’s better for both her and to Tom that I step up and do these things. Score another point in the awesome wife category.

Wait, actually, example 2 should actually count as more like five point in the awesome wife category, because some of that self-care stuff is just gross.

I buy all the groceries because after eight-ish years as a manager at WalMart Tom hates stores like that. So I spare him the horror of entering them by being The Grocery Shopper of family. I tell him often that he’s welcome. (No I don’t. He does so much for me and the girls that sparing him WalMart visits is the least I can do. But it still counts as an example of my awesome wifeliness.)

I work to provide our family insurance. That’s huge in my book. We could have gone bankrupt in the past year with all my medical expenses if I hadn’t worked all these years and had insurance. So yes, I’m an amazing wife and mother.

As anyone who even semi-regularly reads here, I run myself down a lot. The voices in my head tell me often how stupid I am, or how lazy, or how lucky I am to have my husband and daughters because I’m not worthy of htem.

But I am. I deserve all their awesomeness as much as they deserve mine. I just have to remind myself of that every so often. I pray every single day that there is more good in my than bad and that I’m creating more good, happy, healthy memories for my girls than bad, negative, damaging ones.

No comments: