Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Glitches

Alyssa loves to read stories to me or share videos with me about conspiracy theories and moments that people are sure they’ve experienced a glitch in the matrix.

It’s amusing and fun and sometimes a little eerie.

I was driving home from work the other day and took a back road instead of the main state road to get home. This back road takes me through the little ‘town’ I grew up in. I put town in quotes because this place is more like a village in the middle of nowhere. There are houses, churches, cemeteries, a volunteer fire department outside which stands a Pepsi vending machine, the sole source of commerce in the entire community.

I lived in four different houses in this square mile village. My dad still lives there. Well, he has a house he visits daily. He actually sleeps at my sister’s house each night.

So I took the Metz Road home. About a mile down the road, I noticed that a house I’d looked at when I was house hunting had a truck parked outside it. “Oh,” I thought. “Someone finally bought that green house.”

Except, wait. That house is now blue…did they put on new siding? Weirdly, I don’t think so. It doesn’t look new. But I’m sure the house was green when we looked at it. And now it’s blue. The blue is not a modern, edgy blue but the baby blue of days gone by. If someone had put on new siding, I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t have chosen that color.

So…what the hell? Am I losing my mind? Was it always blue or did the matrix glitch and I’m remembering the green of the pre-glitch days?

I plan to ask my mom what color she remembers that house being. That ought to be fun. Just recently she insisted that my car is a 2014. It’s a 2012. I told her I was pretty sure I knew my car’s year but she was just sure it was newer than I was saying.

I finally called Tom to prove myself right.

Guess what? I was right. I do so love being right.

I’m just so sure that damned house was green. It was an ugly light mint-ish green. Now it’s an ugly light, sky-ish blue. So yes, still ugly.

My reason for not buying the house wasn’t the ugly color of the exterior so much as it was the odious man who was selling the house. When he heard that we might have to build a pole barn on the property to use as storage for Tom’s business stuff, he immediately declared, “Oh no. I won’t allow that. I’d have it stipulated in the purchasing agreement that no pole barns will be erected.”

Okay. Bye. No sale for you. I was not going to buy a house that he was asking WAY too much for to start and then have the old owner tell me what I could and couldn’t build on my own property. No thank you.

We kept looking and found our enormous yellow house…at least, I think it’s yellow. It was yellow when I left his morning for work. I wonder what color it will be when I get home this afternoon…

Dun dun dunnnnnn…

No comments: