Saturday, December 22, 2018

Wall

You know that wall we all hit at some point in the day? The one where we just can’t get over it and we need to just be done?

My wall seems to be right around 3:30, or if I’m lucky, 4pm. I just get so tired and so ready for the day to be over.

Of course, I also know as I’m flinging myself against this wall in a futile attempt to continue to be productive for the last hour-ish of my work day that even when my paid work is done, the real work begins because when I get home I will not be able to just stop and be, not even for five minutes.

No, there’s always homework to be done, dishes to be washed, dinner to be cooked and look, there are more dishes that need to be washed.

Most nights, early in the week, there will also be some towels that need to be folded and there’s a child who needs to be washed. Sure, she can bathe herself but she can’t be trusted to wash her own hair so there I am, kneeling over the bathtub, dumping water over her head while she screeches that I’m killing her. I always remind her that she’s not dead yet so yeah, be a little quieter in your protests, would you?

After bath, that same child always demands (that’s a strong word but go ahead and try to deny her) dessert. And yes, I know this is my fault because I always provide it for her but I’m a parent who will more often than not chose the path of least resistance and just giving her the stupid dessert is so much easier than arguing with her for what feels like hours on end.

I have it good. This same dessert demanding child takes medicine without complaint and never runs from me in a parking lot, she never has. I know there are others out there with children who refuse medicines without a horrible, physical fight and who have to leash their kids to keep them safe in a parking lot. I have a pretty darned good even if dessert can often feel like the straw that is breaking this mom’s back on a Wednesday night after what feels like a month of Mondays has led to it only being freaking Wednesday.

Sigh.

Where’s my freaking Christmas spirit? I need to find it and get over these December blahs.

No comments: