Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Fifth Grade Homework - The Frustrating Version

This version of firth grade science isn't nearly as fun as the first one. But okay, let's go there anyway.
Olivia brought home another packet. This one was all about symbiotic relationships. This was a four page packet of homework. We did the first three pages and I was feeling pretty good. I'd given Liv a couple of devices to help her figure out if a relationship was parasitic (she had to write a P for that one.) or if it was mutualistic. We were cruising along, she was writing P and M and C like a champ.

Then came the 'creative' part of the homework and I lost my damn mind.

The directions were:
Mix and match as many symbiotic relationships as you can. Choose two imaginary organisms and decide for one or both a need. Determine the niche of each organism, describe how a symbiotic relationship between the two meets the need/s, and describe the type of symbiosis. Get creative! You must invent extra information for each relationship to make sense.

Are you freaking kidding me?

I wrote the following email to her special education teacher:

"Hello, so sorry to bother you with this but I don't know who else to bring it up to. Olivia brought home a homework packet for science this evening. We've done the first three pages on symbiotic relationships. The fourth page is attached as a picture. The instructions say to mix and match as many symbiotic relationships as you can, choosing two imaginary organisms and creating a need for one or both. I can tell you that the only way this page is going to get done is if I do it. I do not believe Olivia has the ability to create symbiotic relationships between imaginary organisms. She can be creative but not like this. I don't think she is going to get anything out of me doing this exercise.

I hope this isn't coming across as whiny as it feels. I want Olivia to learn but I am also aware that her retention isn't exactly typical nor is her thought process.

Will she get in a lot of trouble if we skip the "creative" part of this homework?

Thank you so much for your thoughts."

I also attached a picture of that page of the homework.

Lucky for me and Olivia, she wrote back and asked me to have Liv show her the homework page the next day. She also spoke with the fifth grade science teacher and it was decided that I was right, Olivia wouldn't get anything at all out of doing that stupid homework page.

Yay for parents and teachers communicating...right?

No comments: