Thursday, October 17, 2019

Amazon Can Bite Me

A recent Monday afternoon I got home from work and was asked by Tom, “What music did you buy on Saturday?”

I didn’t buy music on Saturday.

He informed me that someone had purchased some music on Saturday and used his debit card to do it.

Huh. Weird. I texted Alyssa and asked her if she’d bought music from Amazon on Saturday.

She did not.

We went to my Amazon account and there was no record of music having been purchased on Saturday.

Tom went to his paypal account and there it was, a pending charge of $10.47 for Amazon music.

I suggested his card had been hacked.

But no. It hadn’t.

He did a little more digging and found ANOTHER charge to his card for an ‘unlimited Kindle’ account.

Olivia had gotten a Kindle the previous Christmas but hadn’t used it in at least five months because she dropped the damned thing.

As we all know, Kindle is an Amazon device.

Apparently, when you register a Kindle, you are automatically signed up for an unlimited account. You aren’t asked if you want this account, you are just signed up and you are then charged monthly for this service you don’t even know you have. Tom started getting charged in July for this because that’s when we almost bought a brace for his broken clavicle but we’d cancelled the purchase. Sadly for him, we didn’t delete his card from my Amazon account and Amazon made his card the default payment card.

This is lucky for me, though because I’d probably been paying that stupid Kindle charge since December and would have probably paid is FOR FREAKING EVER if Tom hadn’t caught it.

Cancelling that charge was not hard but it wasn’t easy either. It wasn’t just right there, asking you if you wanted it. I had to go into my account settings, my devices, my services and finally found it and was able to cancel it.

But wait, Amazon said. Are you SURE you want to cancel this service?

I’m sure as shit I want to cancel a service for a device that doesn’t even work anymore, you assholes!

Then, we found that we were paying another $40 for some kind of Amazon music service.

We cancelled that fucker too.

I have no idea how or when my account got signed up for that service either. But I’m pissed that Amazon can get away with this kind of thing.

We went ahead and cancelled all the cards associated with my Amazon account. From this point, I’ll just do what I do for Netflix and Hulu and buy gift cards if I want to purchase something off Amazon. Which honestly right now I don’t really want to give Amazon any more of my money.

Amazon can go screw itself.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to check on what all I'm paying for every month. We use prime so God only knows.