Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Homecoming Spirit Week (Alternate Title: Kill Me Now)

Know what Homecoming week means? It means SPIRIT WEEK. Which, in turn, means work for Mom.

Because, duh.

The weekend before spirit week, we were trying to figure out what the girls would wear on each designated Spirit Day.

Monday was declared Royalty day.

Tuesday was Decade day.

Wednesday meant Class Color Day which meant red for Olivia and green for Alyssa.

Thursday brought us Farmer Day (we ARE in the middle of the corn fields and dairy farms, don’t you know?)

And Friday was good old Bomber Blue and Gray day.

So…there we were, at the Walmarts, trying to figure out Royalty Day and Decade Day.

I suggested that Alyssa dress as a ‘modern day’ royal. AKA How would Duchess Kate dress if she were heading to afternoon tea with the Queen?

We decided she’d wear a dress we’d bought the previous spring, it was royal (ha) blue with white polka dots. It was a nice, conservative length and had a cinched waist. It’s a lovely dress, which is why we bought it. She bought a small crown at Hobby Lobby that is attached to a hair comb.

She was set.

Olivia, on the other hand, was not set. I ended up making her a ‘deconstructed Elsa Dress’. Which means I bought a $4 long sleeved T-shirt to which I sewed sheer fabric on the back for a cape and another sheer, sparkly fabric to the front to reflect the sweetheart neckline of Elsa’s dress. She wore shorts that were the same blue and I braided her hair into an ‘Elsa braid.’

For Decade Day, I suggested I make the girls ‘circle’ skirts.

My mom told me that those kinds of skirts aren’t nearly as easy to make as I might think they are.

For what it’s worth, she’s right, though I don’t know that for sure since I didn’t make either skirt. My mom made both of them. Because she’s awesome and a lifesaver and my total hero.

But! I did dye the fabric that was used to make Alyssa’s skirt.

And that, my friend(s?) was a process unto itself. And quite honestly? It deserves its own post.

On Wednesday, Olivia wore a red t-shirt she borrowed from her sister. Thanks Lyss!! I braided O’s hair and used red hair ties and I polished her fingernails in a lovely sparkly red. Done and done.

Alyssa dressed herself in a lovely green T-shirt and a green hoodie. She’s quite the teenager, I must say.

Thursday, or Fucking FARMER day (gag), Olivia once again borrowed from her sister. This time it was a plaid shirt. She wore that with shorts she could wear to gym. I braided her hair into two braids down the side because, farmer girl, right?

Alyssa donned one of her own flannel shirts, a pair of jeans and cowboy boots. Cowboy and farmer are basically the same thing, right? Right.

Bomber Blue and Gray day, whee! Blue shirts with the school mascot (a bomber plane, duh) and jeans.

And then there was the game…which I attended because I’m a music booster mom. Can you even stand it?


1 comment:

Julie said...

We also did Homecoming Spirit week and our days sound somewhat similar. We had Senior day (which is different than Senor Day), Class Color - black, School Colors, Jammie day and Jersey daY.

Julie