Saturday, May 22, 2021

Playing Favorites

My mom has never really seemed to have a favorite child. We’ve all known, my brothers and I, that our mother loves us with everything she has.

My girls have never been jealous of each other. I’d like to think that’s because I’ve never played favorites.

This past Mother’s Day was lovely. Tom made me breakfast, Olivia made couple of things at school and wrote the most delightful card.

Alyssa got me a car freshener and put it on top of a note wishing me a happy mother’s day and telling me she loves me. She signed it, “Your favorite.”

Later in the day, Olivia was at the table and she asked me if I’d seen Alyssa’s card.

I acknowledged that I had seen it, that Lyss had left me the nice smelling tree now hanging in my car.

Olivia read the note and laughed at the ‘Your Favorite’ signature.

She sat and pondered for a moment and then said, quite seriously, “I think that if you did have a favorite, it would be me.”

I hope they both always think they’re my favorite. If they think that, I’m doing my job well and for a woman who has constant doubts as to her ability to mother at all, that’s saying a lot.

No comments: