Friday, May 7, 2021

They Win

Fine. Whatever. I give up. They win.

I mean, we all knew they would, right? It was two against one so the odds were not in my favor.

I called the person in charge of the community building Tom wanted to rent for Alyssa’s graduation party.

The building was available the week after graduation. She said that it wasn’t nearly as busy as it’s been in past years. She wondered if there weren’t as many kids graduating.

I suggested that parents are waiting to see what happens in Ohio as far as large gatherings go before scheduling/renting space goes.

Anyway, I reserved the space. But I left Tom with a list of things he had to do in order to actually use the space.

See, he has to call our insurance agent and get her to email the township secretary with our policy number and proof that we have ‘event insurance’ for this. And it has to be up to $300,000 worth of insurance.

So that’s his first job.

Then, after we get the paperwork from said secretary, he has to write two checks, one for $130 (the cost of renting the building) and one for $100, which we’ll get back as long as we leave the space in the same condition we found it. That’s the price he has to pay to not have to clean our house and have the party there. I think he feels like he’s getting a bargain.

And finally, the day of the event, he has to help me schlep all the food/decorations/beverages/anything else I can think of the four-ish miles from our house to the community building. And he has to stay the entire time of the open house and then help clean up and take everything home.

It’s not asking too much. I mean, she’s his child too, he should be there whether or not I need help with anything or not.

No comments: