Thursday, July 8, 2010

Another Step Up

Olivia's physical therapist from our First Steps program once told me that Olivia is a stair-stepper when it comes to developming new skills. She'll go for months on a plateau, just cruising along, enjoying the status-quo.

And then, one day, BAM! She masters three new skills in the span of an hour.

Some kids go at a steady incline, continuously adding skills but not Olivia.

She watches, she waits, she practices when no one is looking and then, suddenly, one day she's climbing up a slide with no assistance (this happened Tuesday.) And she's doing the little hop of a cartwheel they teach beginners in gymnastics classes. And she's peeing in the potty with amazing consistency. Even her gymnastics 'coach' said last night that she sees an improvement in Olivia's confidence and skill. Go O!

And as thrilling as these advancements in gross motor skills/social skills are, they wreak havoc on her sleep.

I'm a sleeper. I have no idea why I was given children who seem to think that sleep is for the weak. They would go to bed at 10pm if I'd let them (I don't, if only because I need a couple of hours in the evening not hearing the constant refrain, "I'm hungry.") and get up at 6am every single day without pause.

They must get it from Tom because that's not how I sleep. I want lots and lots of sleep. And I don't get it.

Obviously, I'm willing to give up a few hours of sleep here and there as Olivia marvels over her physical achievements, but if I hear a whispered, "Mommy? I'm hungry." at 4:30am one more time, I might just lose my mind.

No comments: