Thursday, July 22, 2010

Confession

So with Julie's comment on that last post, I have to confess that yes, yes I did leave my car sitting in a prime parking spot for at least six weeks because I thought it wouldn't start.

Well, it really wouldn't start. But I thought it was because of something mechanically wrong with the car. I was wrong. It was pure operator's stupidity. I'd turned the car off without putting it in park. The next time I went out to drive it somewhere, I attempted to start the car while it was still in drive. Guess what? Most cars, even those manufactured in the 1980s won't start if they're in drive. I know!! Who knew?

Oh shut up.

At least it didn't cost me anything to 'fix' the car. And, wonder of wonders, I hadn't actually taken the time and cost to have it towed somewhere to be looked at before discovering the problem all by myself.

I am not mechanically inclined, to say the least. In fact, I'm not even interested in becoming mechanically inclined.

Once upon a time, I asked my brother Jason, who is four years younger than I am, to change the oil in my car. He did so, and as he came in to wash his hands he mentioned, "You know, when I changed the oil in Mitch's car, I taught him to do it himself, so I never had to do it again."

I raised an eyebrow, ala Spock, and replied, "Bully for him." I had no interest in learning th change the oil in that or any other car. That's why Walmart has a tire and lube center, thank you very much.

Not to be all gender-biased, though. I'm all for women taking charge of their vehicle maintenance, IF THEY WANT TO. But if not? There's a 10 minute oil change place down the street.

My husband is quite handy and yet even he would rather spend the $20-30 at Walmart for oil changes than take the time to do it himself. Go him, right? Though, admittedly, he's probably never let an automobile sit for six weeks because it was in drive. Just saying...

Speaking of my husband being pretty handy with tools, I've learned in the past few months just how good he is with a sheet of drywall, some nails, a pail of paint and some brushes.

In the years we've lived in our current house, it's been, well, not exactly a dump, but, less than perfect. Yeah, that's a nice way to say it.

And yet...as we edge closer and closer to moving out of that house, it's looking better and better. He's put down new flooring in four rooms, he's put up drywall in three rooms, he's painted areas in at least five rooms.

I know! Now that I know what he's able to do, I won't be willing to let things slide in our new home. Except, he's planning to rip out the drywall from the new basement even before we're moved in. And....he's already said he doesn't plan to replace it until we're ready to sell....WHY?!? I asked that very question.

His response? "Why do we need the basement to be finished?"

My thoughts on that? If we don't need the basement ot be finished, why do the next owners need it finished? Oh, that's right, because supposedly they'll pay more for a finished basement. Whatever, I'm all about getting new drywall up down there. Of course, that might mean I need to learn to hang drywall....that'll probably go as well as my learning to change my own oil.

Too bad there isn't a ten minute drywall place down the street.

No comments: