Saturday, July 31, 2010

Big Step

I would like to think I'm not a helicopter mom (is that phrase even used anymore?) But honestly? I probably lean toward hovering.

I can't help it. My children hover around me and I can't seem to swat them away.

Today, Alyssa and I were invited to go to the mall to celebrate the birthday of a very good friend of Alyssa's. We left Olivia at home with Tom, much to Olivia's dismay. She was extra clingy all morning, telling me often that she wanted to go with me and Alyssa. We tried to talk up the auction Tom was going to take Olivia to, but she didn't buy it for a second. Damn those smart three year olds.

Of course we left her anyway, staunchly ignoring the pouty lip and the restrained tears. Off we went to the mall, where much fun was had by Alyssa, her friend and her friend's cousins.

Then, much to my amazement, when invited to go back to their house with them, Alyssa agreed, getting into a van that didn't belong to a family member without me.

Alyssa has known this girl and her family for two years and this was the first time she went anywhere with them without me. I was so proud. And so terrified.

Not terrified because I don't trust the mom. I do trust her to take good care of my darling, precious, super special snowflake. What terrified me was them getting three miles down the road and Alyssa realizing what she'd just agreed to and losing her sweet little mind with the knowledge that I was suddenly driving in the other direction.

See, I was on my way to the auction Tom and Olivia were perusing in hopes of snagging a new dryer. I had to drive about 30 miles in the other direction to pick up Olivia and then she and I would drive another 65 miles back to join Alyssa at the friend's house where we'd join them for cake and ice cream and frolicking on the trampoline.

When I got to the auction, Tom and Olivia met me at the side of the road, where, upon seeing me, Olivia burst into tears of relief at being rescued. I know, the drama never ends.

We headed home, hung some laundry on the line (at this point, we weren't sure Tom was going to get the dryer and the laundry was wet...) gathered extra clothes, snacks, a pillow and blanket for return drive home and headed north.

When we got to where Alyssa had been enjoying herself, I fought of a couple of over-friendly dogs and made my way into the house, where Alyssa burst into tears of relief upon seeing me there.

Maybe it's not me, right? Maybe my children are the helicopters and I'm just the landing pad they have to return to every so often just to refuel.

I am so proud of Alyssa for going home with her friend and spending a couple of hours without me. I'm also REALLY glad to have her and Olivia both sound asleep here at home tonight. One step at a time.

No comments: