Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fancy Dancies


Yikes, what a depressing post that last one was. While I'm still struggling with body image and how it affects everything else in my world, my world isn't just about me.

My girls are very much girly-girls.

When Alyssa was younger, she adored shoes that made a lot of noise when she walked. She had a pair of black patent leather Mary Janes that were quite clickity-clacky. She loved those shoes. She called them her Fancy Dancies.

Olivia, on the other hand, isn't fond of the color black. Any other color will do but black is just too somber and, well, black for her.

So her fancy shoes have to have some color.

The girls and I attended the wedding of a cousin this past weekend.

My mom bought them both sparkly dresses (purple for Alyssa and red for Olivia.) And of course, they had to have new shoes to complete their ensembles.

I made Olivia try on some black dress shoes and every single pair were just not right. She either complained that they were too tight, or too big or just that they vaguely hurt her feet.

Whatever. I know the truth. She hated the dark color.

She spied some red sparkly shoes and the decision was made. It didn't matter that every third step, she'd walk right out of the right shoe. They matched her dress perfectly and that was that, as far as she was concerned.

Alyssa found some silver ones very similar to the red ones Olivia picked and the decision was made and the shoes were purchased.

And they both showed up to the wedding looking their lovelies from head to toe.

I'm just glad that fancy-dancy shoes for them both are still fairly inexpensive. I'm not sure how we're going to handle the teenage years to come.

No comments: