Thursday, October 28, 2010

Grrrrrr....

Is it just my husband? Are all men like this or is mine especially self-centered?

This is a conversation we had this morning:

Me: Just a reminder, my half-day vacations end today. We'll need you to bring Olivia to me next Thursday for gymnastics.

Him: What? I thought she was taking time off gymnastics until I'm up there full time.

Me (confused): No. You wanted her to take the month of October off so you could finish the remodel/cleaning of the house so it could get listed for sell. I rearranged my vacation schedule so she wouldn't have to do that.

Him (voice raised just a little): That's not how it was supposed to be. It doesn't make sense for me to drive 130 miles just for her to have 40 minutes of gymnastics.

Me (remaining calm, much to my amazement and amusement): I don't remember it that way. But I've already paid for this session so...

Him (annoyed): So I guess I'll just have to do it. But it's a waste of my time to do this. I guess I'll just have to plan for Thursdays to be our family visit day.

Me: Hey, I'm sorry I didn't understand that you wanted me to cancel her gymnastics indefinitely until you're up here full time.

Him (backtracking): I'm not mad. I just...I know it sounds selfish (You think?) but even though we'll be using that time as my time to see my family, because I want to see you, and so I have to see you, I think having it be scheduled makes it harder.


Whatever.

He's being a jerk as far as I'm concerned. He doesn't want to have to schedule and plan his time to 'visit his family.' To be honest, the fact that he's staying down there in that house 'until it sells' reeks of selfishness to me.

Sure, it makes it easier for him to show the house, but it also gives him limitless alone time, time to list his items on ebay without the distraction of a wife and two children who will make demands on his time and attention.

Just yesterday, I thanked him, THANKED HIM, for coming to see us on Tuesday. I know. It's insane. And during my show of appreciation, I told him we miss him. But I was careful to tell him that I wasn't trying to make him feel guilty.

And he replied..."Oh, don't worry. I don't feel any guilt."

No guilt over being away from his children for days at a time. NO GUILT over the fact that I do 100% of the parenting these days because he's NOT HERE.

Is it just my husband? Or would most men/fathers not feel guilty over this?

I go away one weekend a year. ONE. WEEKEND. A. YEAR. And I feel guilty. But I'm going to work on that. Because it's bullshit. It's ridiculous.

I'm not even angry at this point. I'm incredulous over the insanity of that conversation. And yeah, I might just 'forget' and pay for the next session just because I'm that kind of wife. Evil.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you having such a rough time, hopefully the house will sell soon so he will have no choice but to be there all the time.

Anonymous said...

Okay, this is a little late. Just catching up.

I'm sorry you aren't having the best time with the single parenting - not by choice. I would have to say no, it's not just your husband. Mine would do the same. He goes to school full-time and works at least 30 hours a week. And even though I do see him everyday for at least a few minutes, I'm still doing the parenting. (Unless you count stomping around yelling at the kids for leaving their stuff all over the house and forgettting to shut off the lights parenting.) Yes, that's what he does when he's home. That and homework, which TOTALLY takes priority over any kind of bonding experiences. Does he feel guilt that I'm trying to do everything for these four kids, plus taking care of my nephew? No. I don't think he does, even though he says he does. And when he's not doing homework, there's almost always a project around the house for him to work on. You know, one that requires everyone to leave him alone and also requires limitless time at home improvement stores-- without so much as ONE child, of course...

So no... Even if it's only me, (which I have to doubt) you are not alone in this.

Love,
Page