Friday, October 8, 2010

Vacation?

Yesterday I took a vacation day from work and spend the day with my children.

Well, sort of. Olivia was stuck with me all day and she and I drove to and from Alyssa's school four times in the span of seven hours.

Yikes! I don't know how you 'stay at home' moms do it.

There's really not so much staying at home is there?

I kind of had to come back to work just to rest.

The day started a half hour later than it does on the days when I have to come to work. That was a refreshing change in the routine.

At 7:40, we headed out to drop Alyssa off at school. Olivia and I hit the local grocery store for a few necessities and then went home, where she ate a couple of powdered donuts and swept the kitchen and entry way floors.

At 8:45, we raced back to the school where we walked with Alyssa in a fund-raising walk. For what we were raising fund, I do not know, but that first mile with Olivia insisting on being carried will remain a crick in my back for days to come. The second mile consisted of us making a pitstop at the car and retrieving the stroller. Both Olivia and I were much happier with that arrangement.

After the walk, O and I went home again. I vacuumed the remnants of O's powdered donuts off the living room carpet, packed lunches for us and ran a load of laundry.

And off we went again at about 10:40 to meet Alyssa for lunch. I figured if I had the day off, I should spend at much time with both of them as possible.

Alyssa loves showing her sister off, which is just so sweet and makes my heart swell with love for these girls. Lunch with second graders is loud and messy and fun.

I attempted to get Olivia to take a nap when we got home from lunch with Alyssa but she was having none of that. At one point she was standing in front of me, holding my hands and jumping up and down, screaming non-sense.

I asked her why she was doing that and she squealed, "I'm just so happy."

That? Made my day.

At 2:30 we headed out once again to pick Alyssa up from school and then race to town to Olivia's gymnastics class. We made it with three minutes to spare, which I used to pee. I know.

So today? I'm back at work and trying to recover from my 'vacation' day.

I really don't know how the stay at home moms do it on a daily basis.

But honestly? I'd more than willing to give it a try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's great that you take the extra time to be with your little loves. Maybe you will have the opportunity to give it a try, the world turns in many directions.