Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Translator

I'll admit that when my brother's son was born a year after Olivia, I worried about the moment when Jaxon (the nephew) would pass Olivia in developments. See, she was a year old and JUST starting to sit up. We had no idea when she'd crawl, walk, and talk. At that point, we didn't have a diagnosis. I'd found 5p-/Cri du Chat through my own research but at that point, two doctors had already shooed me away, assuring me that Olivia was 'too pretty' to have the syndrome.

I know, right?

So we were going on our merry way, just starting therapies in an effort to treat her symptoms even though we still didn't know what was causing those symptoms.

So when Jaxon was born, I kind of knew a day would come when he'd pass her developmentally. At least physically.

And that day did come. He started walking at the typical thirteen months. Olivia was 26 months old, still three months away from walking independently herself. And yet...while I'd sort of worried about that day, when it came...I wasn't nearly as bothered as I'd thought I might be.

I was happy for Jaxon and his parents. I wanted him to be typical. I didn't want him to have challenges. I just wanted those things for my sweet girl too.

I knew at that point, though, that she was moving at her own pace and she'd get there. There was never a question for us as to whether she'd walk and talk, it was just a matter of when.

Last year, as Jaxon edged in on two years old, my brother started to worry that his son wasn't talking as much as he should be for his age.

I suggested he talk to his doctor if he was truly concerned but reminded him that a lot of kids have a huge vocabulary jump when they turn two. And that happened for Jaxon. He did take it slow, though. One word here, two there. He spent a lot of time with my mom and Livie this summer and so his vocabulary grew by leaps and bounds.

These days, as he approaches his third birthday, he's talking pretty well.

But...Olivia's speech is better.

Just yesterday, Jaxon said something to my mom. She looked at him, confused and turned to Olivia, who translated for him, "He wants some juice. He'd prefer orange, but apple will do."

My child.

My little girl with 5p-. The one who is supposed to have a major speech delay, is translating for her one-year-younger cousin, in complex sentences.

And we understand her.

It's amazing to me. It shows me that we can never, ever underestimate these kids.

Last year as the school year ended, her preschool teacher/speech therapist wrote, "I see no speech delays in Olivia whatsoever."

Seeing that in writing from a profession meant so much to me. It meant that I wasn't just pushing my own hopes and dreams onto my daughter. She was surpassing what everyone said she'd do. She's making her own way and she's dragging her 'typical' cousin with her, expressing her wants and needs as well as his as they go along.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Hurray for Olivia!!!! That's so awesome. i love when the kiddos can translate. My little cousin translated for his brother all the time and it was quite funny, pretty much like what Olivia is doing.

It's so cool that you are so positive and knew Olivia would get there! She is so lucky to have so much encouragement and love.