Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Distain

Each Monday evening Tom gives me a rundown of how his day with the girls went.

Yesterday, he told me that soon after I left for work, he was on the floor, finishing up his workout. Alyssa was still upstairs in the shower.

Olivia walked over to him, looked down at what he was doing, tilted her head and asked, “Are you going to do that all day long?”

He said distain dripped from her words.

My five and a half year old, ladies and gentleman. She of the attitude that would do a fifteen year old proud.

She’s still in the “What are you going to do about it?” stage too.

Last night as I was trying to get her to sleep, she announced she was sweaty.

Because she requires a response, I said, “Okay.”

Pause.

“What are you going to do about it?”

I reached over and tugged the blanket off her legs.

I think she was hoping I’d blow on her to cool her off. Seriously. She sometimes expects that.

I think we’ve created a monster.

No comments: