Sunday, July 22, 2012

Prayers in WalMart

Last Friday I was in WalMart after work picking up a pizza for dinner.

While in the book section (because who goes to WalMart and doesn't check out the books even if they're in there just for pizza?) I was approached by two young men.

By young, I'm thinking they were in their early 20s. As a woman in her early 40s, I'm rarely approached by anyone unless it's a man in his 70s asking if I've ever tried the single serving frozen pies in the freezer section.

These two young men were very well groomed and seemed harmless.

They asked me if they could pray for me. They asked if there was anything in my life that I needed to ask God for help.

I told them that I'm actually pretty blessed and started to suggest they find someone more deserving of prayer.

They interrupted me and said I didn't have to tell them specifics but that they were just out praying for strangers.

Now...a few months ago, I might have thought they were crazy, no matter how well groomed and made my way away from them.

But I read an article in a magazine awhile ago that talked about a woman who'd made a resolution to pray for strangers every day for a year. She went up the these strangers and asked if she could pray for them.

I kind of thought that's what these guys were doing.

So I agreed. I have admitted here before that I'm not really into religion so much as I consider myself spiritual. I've talked about my grandma and the amazing gift she gave me years and years ago when she taught me how to pray and how to ask for acceptance of God's will more than anything else.

These young men asked God to bless me and walk with me through my journey in this life. They asked that my family be blessed and that my hands be healing hands.

It was nice. It was a few gentle moments in the book section at WalMart.

I felt blessed to have strangers praying for me.

I took it at face value because I think that's what God would want me to do. He wants us to see good in this world. I believe He's a good, loving God who wants us to see the good things as blessings and so that's what I did. I didn't look for underlying motives. I don't think there could have been. These guys didn't ask for anything in return. They just prayed for me.

I consider that a priceless gift.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I would have been totally freaked out by this. I'm glad you let them pray for you!!