Sunday, July 29, 2012

Shower and Salsa

It's been one of those weekends where we all feel like we didn't actually get a break in the week.

Saturday was typical, laundry, vacuuming, grocery shopping, library. I added in sweeping and mopping the kitchen floor because, yuck, it had been too long since I'd done those things. I know, the shame.

On the schedule today was a baby shower for my step son D's girlfriend. Their baby is due September 13 but she's being induced on September 6.

So yes, the shower.

I got the invitation two weeks ago. It was a given, as far as Tom was concerned, that I'd go. It didn't matter that it involved an hour and a half drive there, at least two hours with people I didn't know well and an hour and a half drive home.

I did the right thing and called to RSVP. I left a v-mail, asking my step-daughter-in-law (how convoluted is that, let's just call her K) to get back to me with either an address or directions to the location of the shower.

I also sent her a facebook message asking the same.

Over a week passed and I'd heard nothing.

I told Tom that I honestly didn't want to go. He took it personally and asked if I'd done enough to contact K. I told him I'd tried to contact her twice. He said, "I didn't know you'd called her twice."

I replied a little pissily, "I called once. I left a message for her on Facebook."

See, I think Facebook is a valid form of communication these days. So there. We agreed to disagree on that one.

So I called her again. This time we actually talked and she gave me directions and so today, I made the drive.

As I was getting ready to leave, Tom was gathering tomatoes, onions, garlic and peppers to make salsa.

He wasn't looking forward to it.

I offered to trade. He could go to the baby shower and spend two hours with his ex-wife and I'd stay home and make the salsa.

He didn't take me up on my offer. It's 8:02pm. I've been home almost two hours. He's STILL in the kitchen working on the salsa.

I think I got the better end of this deal. Afterall, there's not bad blood between me and his ex-wife. I think she's a perfectly lovely woman. He, on the other hand, would rather chop onions and peppers from here to eternity than have to be cordial to her for a couple of hours.

We all have our niche, is what I'm saying.

Updated to add: For the record, the girls stayed home with Tom while I went to the shower. For what it's worth.

No comments: