Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Other Side

This is day four of my five day weekend. It started on Wednesday, the 4th. Even though I only had Wednesday off for the holiday, I took Thursday and Friday as vacation days to lengthen the holiday.

And you know what? I could get used to this.

Way back before I had kids, I truly thought I'd be a stay-at-home mom when I did get around to having kids.

The life happened. I got older than I'd thought I'd be when I had kids (Alyssa was born when I was 32) and I had a pretty good job when Tom and I met. It made no sense for me to quit a job with excellent benefits.

So when the girls were born, again, the benefits of insurance were important.

But these last fwe days...I've had a glimpse of what it would be like to be here, with them, taking care of them.

Can it be monotonous? Yes, of course. I realize that it gets old. But four days in? It's not old.

We haven't actually spent a lot of time at home, though, which might be part of the fun. We travelled two of these last four days and then yesterday and today we spent several hours at the local pool in an attempt to the beat the heat. Yep, we're smack in the middle of that heatwave that is attecting the midwest. It's miserable unless you're submerged in five feet of sparkling water.

But my house is currently cleaner than it's been in months, the girls have been better fed and happily exhausted at the end of each day.

I feel happy and fulfilled and yes, tired, at the end of each day. It makes me think there's something to be said for this 'stay-at-home' thing.

I wonder, though, if we always want what we don't have? I know there are moms out there who do stay at home with their kids who are exhausted, at the end of their patience and just wishing they could find a job that would pay enough to make working worth their time.

So yes, the grass is always greener. And yet, right here, on this side of the fence even if only for a few days, I see the green, green grace and I sort of like it here. It makes me sad that it is temporary. I could get used to this side.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm sure you could get used to that life! I know I could. :)
HUGS!