Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Another Snow Day

Alas, we’ve been hit with another winter storm. This one dropped a couple of inches on us last night and then another seven inches in the span of about three hours this morning.

The girls’ school was closed by 9:30 last night, freeing Alyssa to fall asleep at her leisure as she attempted to watch the finale of The Biggest Loser (OMG! The person who won ended up losing 155 freaking pounds. Holy crap!)

I got up at 6 this morning to monitor the weather and, well, duh, to get ready for work because twenty years ago I was stupid and changed my major from secondary education with a concentration in English to a BA in English Literature, so, yes, I have to work because I don’t work at a school.

I left for work at 7:10, about twenty minutes before I’d normally leave. I figured I was giving myself plenty of time to get to work. Alas, I made it less than a mile before encountering two vehicles in the ditch. I decided to ditch my own effort to get to work on time and turned around and went home.

It seems I was attempting to travel during the heaviest and blowiest part of the storm.

I waited a couple of hours and headed back out into a much lighter and yet still drifty snowfall.

But the time I was home was well spent. I made blueberry pancakes for Olivia for breakfast; I ran a load of laundry through the washer and I sat with the girls as they played on their tablets. It was a nice way to start my day.

Once I was back on the road, I only drove about 35mph the entire way to work. This seemed to have enraged the driver of a semi who came up on me when I was about halfway to work. He ended up passing me after riding my tail for several miles. Sadly for me (lucky for him) I did not come upon him in a ditch at any point. Why, yes, I can be quite vindictive. Why do you ask?

I’d made it 98% of the way to work, was in fact on the verge of turning into the parking lot when I hit a very slick spot and took a leisurely ninety degree spin, coming to a stop going in the opposite direction of that which I needed to go. I was lucky that there was a parking lot into which I could turn in order to make a course correction.

I made the turn just fine on the second try and reflected on the fact that I was very lucky that there were no vehicles coming in either direction as my car spun on the snow-covered ice.

And how was your day?

No comments: