Monday, June 1, 2015

Summer

So…it’s summer. Sort of. The calendar still says spring and the weather actually feels more like fall but the school declared that it is summer as of last Friday, when the girls had their first day of summer break.

What time did Olivia wake up on her first day of summer break? Why, at 5:50am of course. She is not one to sleep in. Though this morning she didn’t wake up until 6:15, which really is sort of sleeping in for her. She came into the bathroom where I was getting ready for work and asked me where her dad was.

I told her he was probably downstairs and she asked me if her voice sounded tired.

I hugged her and declared that her voice DID sound tired. I suggested she go back to bed for a while and she told me to go to hell. Wait, no, she didn’t. She laughed at my audacity and said she was going to go find her dad.

Alyssa woke up while I was in the shower. She wanted to know when I’d be done because she needed to wash the green dye out of her hair that we’d put in the night before. I know, I know. Yes, I’m that mom.

Olivia came back from her hunt for her dad to hang out in the bathroom with me while I finished getting ready. She’d slept with a microphone the night before (she shuns stuffed animals in favor of pointy, plastic items of various shapes for snuggling at night.) She serenaded me as I dressed.

She paused between songs at one point to ask me if I had to work tomorrow.

I told her I did.

She sighed and said she wished I got summers off too.

Oh, you and me both, Kid. Alas, I did not student teach way back when I was at IU and so I never got my degree in secondary education. So…I don’t get summers off. But I do have vacation days and I have some scheduled for this summer. We’re going to Cedar Point in mid-July and to Indianapolis at the end of July. There are other times I plan to just take a day or two here and there and just be with those sweet girls of mine.

We’ll muddle through, we always do and in the end, it all works out just right.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Happy Summer! Today is our last day. yay! Your summer plans sound lovely!