Friday, May 25, 2012

End of Year Festivities

The girls have two more days of school left. Their school year was extended by one day due to fog days (I know!) so their last day is next Wednesday.

But the last week or so has been busy, busy, busy as they cram in as much fun as possible into these last few days.

Last Friday was Alyssa's school field trip. Monday was their pen pal party. Today was the kindergarten through fourth grade field day.

I try to go as many of these events as possible. I know the days that Alyssa is actually going to want me there are numbered and so I'm soaking it all in.

But I'm tired.

It's a good tired, though. The kind of tired that comes from too many hours in the sun, too much laughter, too much fresh air.

This morning I worked a half day at work because there was just enough stuff that needed to be done that I couldn't justify taking the entire day knowing A's field day didn't even start until 12:30.

So after four hours at work, I raced the 20 miles to Alyssa's school, arriving only ten minutes late.

I followed her group of 17 kids from activity to activity, doling out sunscreen, corralling unruly boys (can I say right here that it's a good thing I didn't pursue the teaching degree because I don't really enjoy being around a bunch of kids all day long. My own kids wear me out enough, thank you very much.)

Anyway, after field day was over, Alyssa and I drove home, she ate a pickle and we packed up snacks and drinks for a bike ride to my mom's to pick up Olivia.

Today was a HOT day. There was a nice wind, though, so the heat was bearable. But once we got to my mom's house, the effects of the day hit Alyssa like a ton of bricks. She was exhausted.

We called Tom and asked him to come get us.

Once he got there, I suggested he put A's bike in the trunk of the car, take the girls home and I'd follow on my bike. It didn't make sense to me to leave it at Mom's house.

When I finally got home, Tom had fed both girls and was heating up leftovers for us. Nice, huh?

After dinner, I went out with the girls again, this time, they raced around in the shaded front yard while I pulled the dead blossoms of the petunias in an effort to encourage new growth.

Then A and I played two games of croquet, my dad stopped for a visit, we all enjoyed the first watermelon of the season on the back deck and the girls played n the swings.

And now...I'm tired. Like I said, it's a good tired, an honest tired. The kind of tired I feel guilty complaining about because it just shows how spoiled we are by this amazing life.

No comments: