Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Heaven

Last night I was tired. So, so tired. Not so much sleepy as I was physically worn out. We had a tough, physical day at work yesterday and it took a lot of out of me.

Olivia and I were sitting in the rocking chair. She was draped across my lap as she often is in the evenings as I try to lull her to sleep.

There was no lulling this child. She was busy, she was thinking. She had questions and was demanding answers.

We have a hanging lamp in the corner behind the rocking recliner where O and I were sitting. It’s an amber glass globe with etched roses all over it. It’s prettier than I just described.

It casts interesting and pretty shadows along the wall and ceiling.

Olivia was enthralled. She asked, “What happens if we go into that light?”

I was half listening and responded, “What do you think happens?”

She said, “I think we’d die.”

That got my attention. I looked down at her and she was grinning at me.

She asked, “What happens when we die?”

I told her we go to heaven and live with God and Jesus and are surrounded by peace and love.

Oh, my did that get her going. She was fascinated by the idea of heaven and God and Jesus. She kept looking back up at the light and saying, “That light is heaven.”

It got to the point that it was almost eerie, as if she was talking about more than the lamp behind me, as if she could see into that light and was seeing The Light, if you know what I mean.

We continued to rock and I continued to field her questions about heaven and death and light and love.

Finally, out of the blue she suggested, “Maybe we’re in heaven now. We have lots of love and light.”

Wow…deep thoughts from a five year old, right?

But maybe she’s right. Maybe God is so good to us that He is giving us a glimpse of heaven right here on earth, that glimpse being the pure, true love of a trusting child.

I kissed her cheek and pushed myself to my feet. Olivia was still cradled in my arms. We trudged off to bed, my aching knees and hips protesting with every step up to the bedroom. But my heart was full, my head was swimming with thoughts of love, light, heaven and peace on earth as viewed by a five year old.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Amazing. She is amazing!