Monday, May 21, 2012

Pen Pal Party

This is a shout out to all the teachers out there. You guys are awesome.

At least the teachers at my girls' school are. Their energy is boundless, they are creative and innovative. They constantly strive to keep the kids engaged and enthusiastic about learning.

I was lucky enough to volunteer in Alyssa's class today when they got to host a party where they met with the pen pals to whom they've been writing all year. This party was originally scheduled for early May but that was the day school was closed due to fog. I know. Fog.

They were able to reschedule and that day was today.

And it was so much fun. I wish I were able to go to my girls' classes more often. I feel like I get a glimpse into a part of their world that I don't really know much about. Alas, as a mother who works outside the home, these events don't happen nearly often enough.

The kids from both schools were amazingly well-behaved. There was no tattling, no fussing. They played well together and participated willingly in the games their teachers planned for them.

I was asked to bring drinks and when I came home over the weekend with four cases of water (12 bottles each) Tom sort of laughed at me, saying the kids were going to go for the Hawaiian Punch and walk right past the water.

I just smiled at him and took the water to the school today along with one gallon of Hawaiian Punch. I returned with one case of water and an entire gallon of Hawaiian Punch. I'm not one to say, "I told you so." Except...well, I sort of told him so. Ha!

But enough of the gloating. It was a great day and I am lucky to have been able to be there. I'm also lucky that Alyssa still wants me to go to things like this. It won't last, I know. So I'm going to soak it up for all it's worth while it lasts.

No comments: