Thursday, March 21, 2013

Because She Knows Better

Tiffany over at Elastamom published a post yesterday that resonated with me. She talked about how frustrating things can be when her daughter does something that she knows she’s not supposed to do.

Yes. Yes, yes, yes.

This one gets me every single time. And I always feel bad for losing my temper but when Olivia dumps a cupful of water out of the tub onto the floor while watching for my reaction, I yell. I can’t help it. She knows better.

When she uses a medicine dropper to eat soup and makes an huge mess, I scold her and make her let me feed her because I know that she knows better.

This morning while I was showering, I smelled something coming from outside the shower. I called out, “Livie, you better not be trying to polish your own nails. You know you’re not allowed.”

She quickly recapped the nail polish and said, “Yeah, I know.”

Huh. Yes, she knows better.

I know that there are issues of impulse control. I get that. And most of the time, I try to be understanding and patient. But there are times when I’m so tired of cleaning up the same messes over and over and over again that I lose it. Just for a moment and then I apologize and get back to the cleaning.

But like Tiffany said, she knows better. I swear there is a devious side to my daughter, a side that likes to see how far she can push me, how much she can get away with before I raise my voice.

And that might be the worst of it. She knows better and she does it anyway just because she wants to see my reaction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is frustrating when children continue to push your buttons knowing all to well what your reaction will be. Although Sophie is only 3 I already have those overwhelming moments of frustration because despite her delays, she knows better. I hope she will outgrow some things but I'm afraid she won't.