Thursday, March 7, 2013

Sometimes Mommy is a Grouchy Bitch

Last night was not my best mommy moment. I was tired, the girls were annoying the crap out of me, I just wanted some down time.

Olivia wanted to take a bath and I’m not usually one to say no to a bath. Who doesn’t like clean kids?

Except these days, she won’t leave the faucet alone, she’s constantly trying to turn the water to the hottest temperature possible. I have to sit there and hold the knob so she can’t adjust it herself.

And even though I told her several times not to throw a soaking wet wash cloth out of the tub onto the floor, she did it twice. The very plopping sound grated on my nerves something fierce.

When I finally made them get out of the tub, the bath had lasted an hour. It was 8:00. Time for bed.

But Olivia wanted dessert. I tried to tell her that dessert time had come and gone while she was in the bath.

She didn’t believe me.

I grouched and fussed and refused to get ice cream for her.

Then I felt horrible. I told the girls that I needed a time out. Olivia laughed. Alyssa told me it was okay.

But it wasn’t. It wasn’t their fault I was being such a grouchy bitch and I needed to get a grip and stop being that way.

I pulled myself together, apologized to them and got ice cream for Olivia and popcorn for Alyssa. We settled onto the couch, watched a rerun of The Middle and everyone got a nice back scratch as another, non-verbal apology.

I try to catch these moods before they get out of control. And if I don’t, I apologize and we make up and go on. I guess it’s okay for my girls to know I’m human too, that I get grouchy and bitchy. As long as I remind them that when it does happen, it’s never, ever their fault. That’s my biggest goal. Not to be perfect but to be aware of my imperfections and try not to take them out on these two (mostly) innocent souls.

2 comments:

Julie said...

You need one of those baby knob things on your bathtub. It goes over the knob so it can't be turned. Or am I imagining that?

Anonymous said...

We all have our days!