Friday, March 22, 2013

Breaking into Spring

The girls will be on spring break as of 3:01 this afternoon. They are beyond excited.

And get this, we aren’t even doing anything. Ha! Except to them, a week off school means the world to them. I’m taking a couple of vacation days next week to spend time with them.

I’ve let Alyssa invite a friend to spend the night one day so she can have something exciting happening. I think I’ll take the girls bowling. That’ll be an adventure.

Growing up, my family never went anywhere for spring break. Even during college, I only ever went on an actual trip the last two years of my college career.

Sometimes I fear I’m depriving my girls of chances to make memories, the opportunity to explore new places and learn to travel.

But then I remind myself that it’s okay to not get every little thing during childhood. It leaves things for them to discover as they get older and branch out on their own.

I realize that we do what we can to ensure our girls have a healthy, happy childhood. We provide them with a roof over their heads, food they can eat (though way too much junk), more than enough entertainment options.

We’re good, even if we’ve never taken a spring break trip.

No comments: