Thursday, August 22, 2013

Bubbly

This being back to school is tough. We’re trying to figure out bed and bath times and everyone is more tired than we will be in another couple of weeks when things have settled into a routine.

The other day a co-worker had a question about something I’d done. I’d written the number 1 where a 0 should have been. I apologized for the mistake and corrected it.

The co-worker laughed and said, “It’s kind of nice to know you’re not perfect.”

I blinked, smiled and said, “I’m so far from perfect.”

She replied, “I’m glad because I’d have to hate you if you were perfect at everything. You’ve already got the cute bubbly blonde thing down.”

Huh? Seriously? Bubbly?

Okay, blond I get. Yes, my stupid hair is blond. But bubbly?

My kids would completely disagree with that assessment. Especially Olivia, who cried last night because Mom was mean when she (Olivia) wouldn’t go to sleep at a decent time.

I know I put my best face forward while at work. I smile even when I want to scream.

Unfortunately, I don’t do that at home. I’m beginning to think maybe I should. The people at work aren’t nearly as important to me as Tom and the girls. Shouldn’t they, my family, get the best of me? Why is that side reserved for people I don’t love?

I don’t think I need to come to work and be a bitch but when I’m at home, I think I need to consider how I’d respond to a request or an action if a co-worker were the one asking/doing. It might make like at home a little more bubbly.

It certainly can’t hurt. I really don’t want to make Olivia cry again. Poor baby has such a mean mom who just wants her to get enough sleep so kindergarten is the best experience it can possibly by.

So far, two days down and…no words from Olivia to her teachers. Only 178 days left. Girl needs to get talking. She’s never going to be told she has that ‘bubbly blonde thing down’ if she doesn’t.



If this picture doesn’t define bubbly, I don’t know what does. I just wish she’d let her teachers see this side of herself. I know, I know. It’s only bee two days but…I worry so. I think that makes me not so bubbly after all.

No comments: