Monday, August 19, 2013

Jeans, Smurfs, Buses

After weeks of bemoaning the fact that I only have one pair of jeans that currently fit, I decided to stop bitching and do something about it.

So I took the girls shopping with me and tried on jeans this past weekend. Alyssa was a great help. Well, when she wasn’t trying on things herself. She would tell me which jeans made my butt look flat or fat or even which ones pushed my stomach fat up into the dreaded muffin-top. Ick.

I ended up finding two pairs of Levi’s that I actually liked well enough to buy. So, yay, I now have three pairs of jeans that fit. Go me!! In even better news? One pair of jeans is a size twelve in the dreaded ‘skinny jean’ style. I know! Who would have thought I’d EVER purchase something with the word ‘skinny’ in the title? But whatever. They’re not bad.

The other pair is not of the skinny style but they are a size ten. Did you read that right? A size TEN. That is down from what I started in January at a size eighteen. Wow.
---------------------------
On Sunday, as a last hurrah to the fact that school starts tomorrow, I took the girls to see Smurfs 2. It was cute. Alyssa was glad that they showed more of the cat. She loves that darn cat.

I actually appreciated that the makers of this movie didn’t try to make it funny for the parents. They knew they were making a movie for kids and they hit their target audience really well. Olivia liked it well enough that she only had to get up to go to the bathroom four times instead of the usual seven. Progress!
------------------------------
Our bus driver called me this morning to let me know the pick up/drop off schedule for the coming year. Her route has changed and she informed me that she’d be by our house to pick up the girls each morning at 6:35.

6:35.

In the morning.

That would mean that girls are on the bus for an hour from the time they are picked up until they get to school.

We live four miles from the school.

I replied, “That’s really early.”

She sighed. “I know. But they’re the second ones on the bus.”

“Yeah. But…that’s so early. I will have to get them up at 5:30 so they’re ready when you get there. What time would they get on the bus if you picked them up at their grandmother’s house?”

She consulted her map, did some backward counting and replied, “6:50.”

Oh. That would mean we’d still have to leave our house at 6:30 to get them to her house to catch the bus. Not an improvement.

After a bit more back and forth, the bus driver mentioned that she goes by a church about a mile and a half from our house at 7:20. Could I get the girls there each morning?

I could, actually. That church is right on my way to work. We wouldn’t have to leave home until 7:10 to get to the church by 7:20, so…that’s what we’re doing.

It’s a bit of a pain but I appreciate her working with me to find a workable solution. I do not feel like putting them on the bus at 6:35 is a workable solution.

So that’s what’s been happening around here for the last few days. Riveting, I know.

No comments: