Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Moms Like Me

Can I just say how great it was to spend time with my friends this past weekend and see them parent?

Why was it so great? Well, because seeing them in action, women I see as wonderful mothers, they got annoyed, they got frustrated, they parented much the same way I do.

It was such a relief.

I worry so much that I’m too lenient, too harsh, too firm, too soft. Do I give in too often? Not nearly enough? Do I get annoyed more often than other moms? Am I too snarky? Do I snap at my kids, is my voice too stern?

I am a real mom, who is also a real person. I get tired, I get annoyed, I get frustrated and yes, I even sometimes give in because I’m too tired to push my girls to behave for good behavior’s sake.

Being around other moms who are just as real, sometimes just as frustrated and just as firm or even just as lenient, it was refreshing.

I learned that we all have our moments where we have had it with our kids and their quirks. We all get tired and a little snappish. And it’s okay because we’re in this together as we try to raise our kids to be functioning members of society.

I’m on the verge of giving myself a break and stopping all the negative thoughts that so often try to bury me in doubt. I’m doing okay. I’m human and I’m a mother and my girls are awesome which means I must be doing something right.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Completely agree!