Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Roofers

Tom has talked about putting a new roof on our front porch and garage for, oh, three years now. When we moved into our house almost four years ago, he noted that the roof on the house itself was fairly new but the ones on the garage and porch were in rough shape.

But then life happened and roofing didn’t.

Until it did.

Last Wednesday, Tom drove an hour and a half to pick up his brother. They turned around and came back in time to go to sleep that night. But bright and early Thursday morning, there they were, tearing the old roofing off both the porch and the garage.

I was glad I had to leave for work because I couldn’t really stand to watch them up there. I’m not big on heights myself but just watching other people clamber around on roofs makes me feel edgy. It’s as if I’m just waiting for one of them to make a wrong move and tumble off the roof onto the sidewalk, where bones will break and blood will pour. Yikes.

Thankfully, no wrong moves were made and at about 8pm on Friday evening, they traipsed their dirty, sweaty selves into the house, declaring they were done.

I was impressed with the quickness and quality of their work.

Tom says the new roof should last thirty five years. That’s good news, by the time the garage and porch need a new roof, I’ll be 78 years old and probably in a retirement home chosen lovingly by my adoring daughters, both of whom I’m sure will visit their dear old mother often. Or not. I guess we’ll see. But the positive thing here is that I don’t have to worry about the roof ever again. I hope.

I do realize how lucky I am to have such a hand husband who also has handy brothers. I would have had to spend way too much money to pay someone to do this job if Tom weren’t around to do it. The girls and I voted once he was done and we’ve decided to keep him for at least a little while longer. He’s a good guy to have around.

And would you look at that before picture? He even covered my flowers/plants in such a way that they weren't crushed by the old roofing as it was torn down. Seriously, he's a pretty awesome guy.

Before:














During:












After:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome! Glad you've finally gotten around to doing that. Hopefully, it wasn't too much of a stress or a chore. It shouldn't be if the roofing is truly up to standard. All the best!

Fredda Dangelo @ Accurate Roofing and Siding

Mathew Robinson said...

Roofs could last for more than 35 years, depending how well one would maintain it. That’s definitely a good news, since it means that you don’t have to go through another roof replacement for a considerable length of time. With regard to the maintenance, I don’t think you’ll have a problem with that, as your husband in pretty handy with such things.

Mathew Robinson @ Browns Roofing Company LLC