Monday, June 9, 2014

Stupid Games

My girls love their RCA tablets. First thing each morning they ask if they can play with them. And we usually say yes, but obviously, we limit the amount of time they spend glued to those things.

When I’m home and the girls are using their tablets, Olivia likes to follow me from room to room as she plays and I work around the house.

She’s usually watching YouTube (she declared this weekend that she’d marry YouTube if she could, it doesn’t even matter that YouTube doesn’t even have arms.) She recently found videos of Barbies enacting scenes for her enjoyment. They’re quite G-rated so I don’t stop her from watching these things. She especially loves the one what include the Anna, Elsa, and Kristoff dolls.

Sometimes, though, she’ll be playing either Minecraft or Pixel Gun and she’ll want me to see some new weapon or tool.

She’ll try to explain what these things are used for and how she’s going to make the best of her virtual world now that she has these weapons/guns.

One day last week I’d had enough and told her that I was glad she found these games fun but I didn’t understand them and I really didn’t want to do so.

I think I might have even called the games stupid.

I know, major mommy fail right there.

Whatever.

Honestly, I think it’s okay for my children to know that I’m not necessarily fascinated by every little thing they do. Yes, I’m attentive and present in their lives but do I really have to feign interest in all their pastimes? I think not.

The gasps, though, at my declaration of Pixel Gun being a ‘stupid game’ were instantaneous. They were outraged that I’d say such a thing.

I backtracked and said, “Okay, so you guys think it’s a great game. That’s awesome. I don’t understand it. I don’t really care to understand it. It’s not so much stupid as it’s a game for young people, which you two are. I am not. Go about your Pixel Gunning.”

All was forgiven because my children think I’m funny if nothing else. I’m lucky, they’re good kids, even if they do enjoy a little too much Pixel Gun.

1 comment:

AiringMyLaundry said...

My daughter loves watching YouTube videos too. She's probably seen those same Anna and Elsa ones. And she plays Minecraft.