Tuesday, June 24, 2014

When She Reads to Me

Alyssa is a reader. I am so glad for this. I’ve been reading since I was four years old and reading is such a pleasure, it’s relaxing, it can be an escape, it can be educational. I just love it so much.

When Alyssa was in first grade, she still wasn’t much of a reader. She definitely didn’t do it for pleasure. She would read the required amount for school but that was it. I worried about this. I feared she’d miss out on the joy that reading can bring, the worlds that are created, the characters that stick with you even after you read the last word of the last sentence on the last page. I worried so much.

Second grade brought a new thrill for her, though. Alyssa discovered the Junie B. Jones series of books and the joy of reading was on!

Now, as she heads into sixth grade, she’s found all kinds of books to enjoy. She’s read most of the Warrior series (a book about cat clans.) She loves the Diary of a Wimpy kid books and the Dork Diaries.

Last night after Olivia was asleep, Alyssa read some of the Dork Diaries to me. I was not at all interested in this and really wanted to watch Master Chef.

But she was so enthusiastic about what she was reading. She was so amused and wanted so badly to share it with me. So I bit my tongue and let her read. And it was great. She obviously found the book hilarious and wanted to share it with me.

How awesome is it that my eleven year old wants to share things like this with me? I know this closeness, this desire to share won’t last forever so I’m not going to let these moments slip by.

Master Chef will wait, my daughter and her desire to read to me, to share her hilarity, her wit, won't.

No comments: